3/2/08

VNB 125 engine progress - starting at the bottom

The first two pics show what came with the frame. Note the cases were missing the main bearings, main seals, top end, clutch assembly, flywheel assembly, carb, fan shroud, and case bolts. In fact, if you look closely, you can see I held everything together with some butchers twine. Honestly, it was totally fine with me that the engine was so stripped down. I figured any 40+ year old motor deserves a REAL tear down - rebuild. I couldn't afford a fancy engine stand and my wife wants me to be as thrifty as possible so I made a stand out of a butcher block and some steel square tubing I found in the dumpster.

In the final photo, you can see that I took care of the main bearings, seals, case bolts and fan shroud. I have the top end on order and it should arrive in a few days. Originally this was a 125 cc. For no additional cost, I decided to upgrade to the 150 (otherwise, what's the point). Also notice, I have a 2 port motor. I could have ground out the third port and upgraded to a 166cc kit but since this is the first time I've ever taken a vespa motor down to the cases, I figured I'd just skip the excess and make sure I get it right. 

Sorry I didn't get photos of the in between steps. I didn't think to start this blog until now.



No comments: